Monday, March 10, 2014

Green Caps, White Stripes

It’s too slurred to be a music, too lyrical to be speech … what’s that sound, and where is it coming from! Oh, my! Sure if it isn’t Greenweek, staggering out of an alley, singtalking to the world. And its breath! Phew! Its breath reeks of … science!


Did you know …

That some believe that the famous “leprechauns” of Irish myth are actually badgers? It’s true! According to some ethnologists, the most likely explanation for the magical little people is a combination of chemically induced hallucinations, wishful thinking, and the European badger, Meles meles.

I suppose it makes some sense. Like leprechauns, badgers are notoriously hard to catch and infamously bitey, and should you actually capture one you would receive a treasure of sorts. A far cry from the legendary “pot of gold,” I’m sure someone out there would still find value in the badger shit and gnawed up animal bones that I assume fill badger dens. The Irish are a unique people with unique tastes!*

Then again it could be that leprechaun’s are in fact fairy folk, fey fay and as likely to snatch away your babies as to leave a gift of stolen oats upon your pillow as  you  sleep.

*I myself recently acquired a lump of horseshit that I can’t quite bring myself to part with. Is this part of the broader human condition, or something more specific to the descendants of a people historically oppressed with the help of dehumanizing generalizations. Uh-oooh, we’ve built a bigotry paradox!

No comments:

Post a Comment