Saturday, March 15, 2014

10 Days a Week

Another day, another dollar. Let me just put on my dressing gown and take off my trousers … Ah! What’s that, a-peeping through my window?! Greenweek? Greenweek, trying to get an eyeful of me at my most honest?! Shame, Greenweek, shame.


Did you know …

That it’s still Greenweek, a Celebration of Irish Science? It’s true! But how is that possible? There have already been seven full and proud posts of Irish science facts (assuming, of course, that we include the DSF 6-month anniversary spectacular, and I do include it), so how can this week continue? Ah, but that’s a good question, isn’t it?

The answer is that Irish weeks are different than “normal” weeks, sort of in the same way that dog years are different from human years. I haven’t done the math, but I suspect that this is what makes so-called “Irish twins” possible.

You see, according to Allan Eisenstein’s theory of special relativity, as a body approaches the speed of light, that body experiences time more slowly. Conversely, it seems that the slower a body goes, i.e., the further it gets from the speed of light, the more quickly it experiences time. Ireland is a little slower than most of the world, so they experience time slightly faster—for each “real,” 7-day week, Ireland experiences between 9 and 11 Irish days.

This phenomenon is largely responsible for Ireland’s low life-expectancy (they live fast, but in real world time, it’s only about 51 years), but it’s a great way to make the most of your limited vacation days (if you’re interested in going to Ireland).

No comments:

Post a Comment