Sunday, June 29, 2014

The wandering butterfly

Did you know . . .

That once every year, in the early summer, butterflies take a vacation lasting between one and two months? It’s true!

Calling it a “vacation” may be slightly misleading, however. It’s not as if all butterflies pack up their tiny suitcases and shout at their children on the beach. It’s more that they take a break from their usual butterfly duties (i.e., flapping around, looking fine, tongue-kissing flower genetalia, etc.), and flutter off to try something different. Exactly what they do depends on the species of butterfly, but in general their vacations are filled with the murder of other butterflies, and rarely-successful attempts to fly off with human jewelry and precious stones. Butterflies are strange little creatures, but as long as you aren’t another butterfly or the owner of some very light gems, you’re entirely safe from them. In fact, I find their yearly indiscretions pretty charming.

As more loyal readers will have noted, like the bloodthirsty butterfly I have taken some time off from the DSF blog this summer. It’s funny, though; you’d think that a break from writing the blog would involve not writing the blog, but as I’ve explained before, I actually have been writing the blog. I just haven’t been posting the entries. Whatever. I’m not a butterfly, so I don’t have to get everything right.

At any rate, I’ve decided to try to resume regular entries, and to fill the missing posts with my banked articles. Just read back from the present, and they should gradually fill in. Don’t expect them all at once—there’s a lot of copy/pasting involved, and I still have research and butterfly murder to do.

Whoops! I let it slip! I guess I’m a little more like the butterfly than I let on!

No comments:

Post a Comment