Thursday, September 4, 2014

Fish Feelings

Oh, what’s this stuck to the back of my knee? Yuck! It’s Camping Knowledge! I don’t know how I could have missed it, but it must have been there since I got back, just . . . just feasting on my juices. Ugh. Get  tweezer.

Did you know …

That fish do have feelings? It’s true! It’s so true, I suspect we may have talked about it already.

In any case, contrary to popular belief, fish really do have feelings. And, no, I’m not about to pull a little switcheroo on you and be all, “I’m talking about emotional feelings! LOL!” Dumb. No, I’m talking about actual feelings. Feelings of pressure, heat, pain, etc. Fish feel things, just like us.

The main difference in fishes’ perception of feelings is that they don’t experience them until the moment before they die. So you can indeed filet a fish alive, and it won’t give half a crap . . . until seconds before it croaks. In those final moments, the fish will experience all the pain of having its muscles pulled from its skeleton, as well as any other pain it might have encountered in its life (although, comparatively, this would be relatively minor, and probably isn’t noticeable over the filleting thing).

Interestingly, this is also when fish experience their emotional feelings, the ones I wasn’t going to mention. So a fish will swim through its whole dumb life, numb in body, numb in heart, and then at the very end it will suddenly be filled with nightmarish pain and thoughts of lost friends and life-defining love that it never before understood. This combination is probably why fish appear as if they are about to vomit right before they die (I don’t think fish can vomit, though, so there are probably some feelings of disappointment thrown on top of everything else).

No comments:

Post a Comment